D-Day: A Day to Donate

My children and I recently cleaned out our closets and toy box looking for those clothing, shoes, toys and books that we had outgrown.  I had thought that I would be hosting a "garage" sale this month in keeping with my thoughts that there is a new purpose for just about everything there.  We were using this opportunity to celebrate Earth Day awareness by recycling and repurposing these items.  But a recent posting at a neighborhood church reminded me that not only was "A Day without Shoes" on April 5, but that there were plenty of people out there that needed shoes that coudn't afford them.  They were hosting a "soles for souls" shoe collection this month and then the shoes would be provided to those in Haiti. 

Each month my husband and I make a charitable contribution to local and national non profit organizations, those that are important to us.  Seeing my large stack of items that we no longer need I looked to my husband.  "Honey do we really need the few dollars that this garage sale will bring us or can I donate them?"  "Sure, go ahead if that is what you want to do, we can do that instead of writing a check."  To be honest there were 7 bags full of clothing, girl children's shoes, children's books, and toys like LeapFrog and V-Tech and they were pretty heavy, but that day I loaded them up to take to a local charity. 

So, today I sit here without my shoes on, and remember that D is for Donate; whether it is money, your time, your talents or your goods.  All of these things can be used to help others, the environment, yourself and keep your family solidly grounded on what is really important in this world and that is not the things we have, but the things we can use to give away and help others.


From Butterflies to Books: Earth Day Activities that Keep on Giving and GrowingAre you looking for some fun activities to do with your children, class or playgroup for Earth Day? Try creating a Butterfly Garden or find a new use for those old used books in your home.

Three Earth Day Activities for the Family, Class or Community Looking for activities you can do to get your family, school or community involved in for Earth Day? These activities keep giving and growing and don't just last one day.

Charity Begins at Home: Charity Party Ideas

4 comments:

Marie Anne April 5, 2011 at 9:29 AM  

Good for you! I had a yard sale at the end of summer and did pretty good, but have so much 'stuff' left that I've been thinking of donating a good chunk of it too. Thanks for the reminder.

Anonymous,  April 5, 2011 at 11:09 AM  

Love this! One of my favorite paces to give is through the Box Project. They match up donor families with recipient families and a long-distance relationship ensues. Boxes are sent and letters are exchanged--it really is wonderful. When my kids were growing up, they loved helping to choose items to send to their "sister family."

Langley Cornwell April 5, 2011 at 4:15 PM  

Right on! I went shoeless today too. This has inspired me to clean out our closets and donate.

Tamara McRill April 5, 2011 at 6:44 PM  

Awesome! I participate in the local Freecycle lists where we can post unwanted stuff. The way our dresser drawers are bulging, it wouldn't hurt to cull some clothing for charity.

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital