Judge not to be a supermom: J is for Judging

Maybe the full moon lasted longer then it normally does.  Maybe women are just sharing with me even more about the things that bother them, and mom's right now "judging" is a big thing that is bothering a lot of moms.  It doesn't seem to matter whether you are a SAHM, WAHM or a WOHM (working outside the home mom) there are just so many judgments about and between mothers.  Over the course of the past month I have heard mother's judging other mother's because they don't breast feed - or because they do.  I have heard mother's judging other mothers because some work outside the home and some do not.  I hear mother's judging everything from discipline to diapering, feeding and doctoring and in the end all that happens is that in the end one mother is telling another mother with her judgments that she is falling "short" in her quest to be a supermom. 

Why do we feel the need to "judge" other mother's decisions?  To offer our advice - when it hasn't been asked for?  Does it make us feel better about our choices?  Maybe that's it, but oh what a price to pay to feel like a supermom. 

Today, I leave you with these reminders;
"judge not lest you be judged"
 for every one finger you point at someone else there are three pointing back at you;
"people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." 
And, if you can't say "nuthin' nice then don't say nuthin' at all" (Bambi)

There is your secret to being a super mom today.  Be "super" to someone else who may really be needing a little encouragement or a pat on the back.  The next time you feel tempted to judge another mother bite your tongue or maybe you could just let her know that we have all "been there and done that" as a parenting.

4 comments:

SuburbanWifeLife.com April 12, 2011 at 5:07 PM  

I get this. it hits close to home. There's a family we've known for years, their daughter was my daughter's best friend and their son was my son's best friend. Our kids were inseperable. The only problem was they were a bit looser with their kids on certain things. I tried as hard as I could not to judge them for their parenting style because everyone parents their kid differently and who am I to judge. I've got one wayward daughter, one normal and immature daughter, one normal for his age son and one ambitious but normal for her age daughter. Now I feel sorry for that family because their kids and my kids aren't friends anymore. Their son is in jail and their daughter is on probation. Sometimes it's hard not to judge....

Anonymous,  April 12, 2011 at 7:47 PM  

I see a lot of this, and it bothers me. Sure, there are those parents who are off-the-charts weird, but most are just trying really hard and doing the best that they can. Who can ask for more than that?

My “J” post is right here: http://www.word-nerd-speaks.com/2011/04/jackwagon.html

Kerry April 13, 2011 at 4:42 AM  

This really bothers me too. Men are so much different and easier to get along with. Go Dads! lol

Thanks:)

Theresa Wiza April 13, 2011 at 4:49 AM  

Your reminders at the end reminded me of what a dear friend of mine used to say (she passed away a few years ago) on her voice mail message – Have a great day and make it a great day for someone else. Those who judge others are probably even more critical of themselves. My A-Z Challenge blogs are here: http://myheartblogstoyou.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment

  © NOME DO SEU BLOG

Design by Emporium Digital